Iain Carson @ Ian Simpson Architects
Sir William Pickles Hartley incorporated his jam-making business in 1884 and established a manufacturing base on Rothsay Street in Bermondsey in 1902. When production at the factory ended, the future of this fragment of London’s architectural and industrial history was threatened.
The solution that made the conservation of the factory possible comprised its conversion to a mix of uses to serve a new community. The result combines the best in contemporary high-density living with the heritage values of its site. The existing buildings have been sensitively adapted to provide generous apartments, flexible live/work units and space for leisure or commercial uses. The most significant contemporary intervention is the addition of lightweight glazed penthouses that are set-back from the existing façade at high-level.
The built scheme delivered 96 apartments, 35 penthouses, 48 live-work units and involved renovation of the existing building fabric, retention of original features, an entrance lodge and external landscaping and cycle and car parking.